Fabulous Hot Chocolate Cookies
1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
2 bars of milk chocolate –cut into squares
12 oz chocolate chips, melted
1 ½ cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ¼ cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
30 large marshmallows
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring frequently, over medium heat (or use microwave). Let cool.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate just until blended. Add the flour slowly until just combined.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop the dough (that has been rolled into small balls to form 1-inch rounds) onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening with your fingers. Bake until almost complete, about 9 minutes.
5. While they are baking, cut 15 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
6. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows begin to colour, about 4 minutes. Remove from oven and press gently with a fork. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks; let cool. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment.