1. Everyone in the house is coming home at different times throughout the night (btw, this happens often ay my house!)
2. You forgot you bought tortillas a week ago and can't remember why you bought them in the first place (I'm sure it was for something creative!)
3. You have a bunch of avocados and a box of red peppers (from the market, remember?) that you really need to deal with.
4. You soaked and cooked enough black beans to feed your whole neighbourhood.
5. You have 2 cobs of corn from the night before which, of course, nooobody would ever consider eating on their own.
This kind of cooking is my favourite...when you need to get rid of a bunch of stuff from the fridge and all of the ingredients that you pull out make some kind of sense when you put them together.
I apologize for those of you that like recipes, but this is a "throw it all together" kind of recipe. It can all be changed depending on what you find lurking in your fridge!
Here's what I used:
1. A family pack of boneless, skinless thighs (you can use breast meat, pork, leftover steak, fish or leave out the meat altogether) cooked in some olive oil...don't drain the marinade...just cook it all together in a large pan until it browns and is cooked through; then shred it with a fork (don't get fussy about this - you can even rough chop it)*
2. The kernels cut from 2 cobs of corn (you can use frozen or canned instead)
3. Black beans soaked overnight and cooked for half an hour (you can use canned and any variety you like)
4. Sliced red peppers and onions cooked in olive oil until softened and seasoned with salt and pepper
5. Quick guacamole (see pictures below...just a bunch of avocados smashed with some store bought salsa and lime juice)
6. Some store bought tzaziki (you can use sour cream or plain greek yogurt)
7. Shredded cheddar cheese (you can use any cheese or leave out)
8. Salsa - I used store bought with some roasted tomatillos that I had in the freezer from last year - I just chopped them and mixed them in with the store bought salsa (you can just use plain salsa...homemade or store bought)
9. Some roasted red pepper hummus that I bought (because I was going to be a good girl and eat that with carrots as a snack...but the chocolate chip cookies were just soooo much better :))
10. Flour tortillas (you can use whole wheat or corn...or you can skip the tortilla if you're watching your carbs and just fill your plate with all of this goodness and put a fried egg on top...yummmm!)
Put it all on a wrap and bundle it up...yummy filling goodness in your hand!
*I marinated the chicken in oregano, garlic, olive oil and lots of lemon juice and zest (did it first while I prepped the rest the fillings/ingredients...you can do it overnight if you have the time...you can even marinate it when you buy them and then put it all in a Ziploc bag and freeze it for another time)