When blueberries are in season (like now), why not give this a try? Pick up a carton from your local farmers market and throw this baby together!
8 c fresh blueberries
1/2 c sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
Rind of 1 lemon, grated
1 1/2 c flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c butter, cold and diced
1 1/2 c fat-free sour cream (you can use yogurt too if you like)
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a 9x13 “ pan
3. Prepare filling by placing blueberries into the baking dish and tossing it with the cornstarch.
4. Sprinkle the blueberries with the sugar and zest and toss again (don’t worry if the sugar falls to the bottom
5. In another dish, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Cut in butter until it resembles a coarse meal; stir in sour cream (make sure you are gentle but that the flour is fully incorporated…it will be sticky)
6. Drop by spoonfuls onto the blueberries and gently, with your fingers, distribute the batter.
7. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar
8. Bake for 50 minutes or until filling is bubbling and topping is nicely browned.
9. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.